Our goal is to assist you in the process of purchasing your textbooks. At the summer Orientation sessions, Orientation Leaders, as well as the Barnes & Noble bookstore staff, will offer you information about the textbook purchasing process. Here are a few tips to consider as you begin your decision making about textbooks for the next semester:
- Some people will tell you to always buy your textbooks ahead of your first class meeting. Others will say to be sure that you meet the class first before purchasing the book. Orientation will encourage you to talk to the professors that are here and the Orientation Leaders about the books needed and when the best time to buy will be for you! Some professors do not require that you have a book, but many students find them helpful.
- You will be able to preorder through your preregistration schedule while you are here for Orientation or later over Internet to the Barnes & Noble site or any other source you may choose. Remember that purchasing from Barnes & Noble does give a percentage of your purchasing back to the University and allows a full return and refund the first week of school if you find that you have purchased the wrong book!
- You may also be able to buy used or ebooks. The bookstore on campus, other bookstores, internet sites, and students who may have already taken the course may be selling used books. Look for signs posted in the Student Union or the academic buildings.
- You may rent your textbooks, if available. Those who shop early get a better chance to rent.
- Be sure to pay attention to and follow the rules for book returns and buybacks, regardless of the vendor.
- Carefully check the ISBN for each purchase.
- Always print a book list before going to the bookstore. To be sure that the correct book for each class is purchased, it is important to know the class registration number, or CRN, before the book is purchased. Always take a printed list of correct CRNs to provide to the vendor if buying books locally.
- As a follow up, keep your receipts! You may need them if you decide to drop a class or sell the book back to the vendor.