Chamber Ensemble Competition
Thursday, February 21, 2013
- Do you like to play with other musicians?
- Do you want to develop your organizational skills and experience the collaborative process through creating a small ensemble, scheduling rehearsals and coaching sessions, and performing?
- If your answers are “Yes,” please read on!
How to participate in the competition:
- Create a small ensemble and choose your repertoire.
- Schedule rehearsals and find one or more faculty members to receive coaching sessions.
- Fill out the Recital Request Form found at http://www.deltastate.edu/pages/2605.asp.
- In the box marked “Additional information,” write “Chamber Ensemble Competition” and the name(s) of the faculty from whom you have gotten approval to participate in the competition. Any special needs, such as the number of chairs and stands, should be included as well.
Application period: September 5, 2012-January 30, 2013
- The competition will be held during Convocation on February 21, 2013 (1:40pm - 2:55pm).
- Applications will be processed in the order in which they are received.
- All performers must be music majors or music minors.
- An ensemble may consist of two to five students (one player per part).
- No conductor should be present. Examples:
- voice-piano duo
- trio (voice, flute, piano or three brass instruments)
- quartet (percussion instruments, woodwind instruments, piano)
- quintet (five woodwind or brass instruments), etc.
- A student is allowed to participate in no more than two ensembles.
- The repertoire should preferably be originally composed for the ensemble. Transcriptions are allowed when each part takes an equal share of musical responsibility. Piano reductions*, student compositions, and jazz repertoire are not allowed.
*For example, arias and musical theater pieces are not allowed.
- The repertoire should be more than 3 minutes and less than 13 minutes.
- If you have questions, please see Dr. Shimizu in Bailey 124.
Discover the joy of collaboration!