DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY HONOR BAND
2014 Honor Band information
Dates: January 16 – 18, 2014
Clinician: Information coming soon!
Nov. 12 – Horn Lake High School
Nov. 14 – Tupelo High School
Recorded auditions must be received by Monday, November 18, 2013
No live audition site at State Band Clinic this year
2014 Audition requirements
On your recording:
- Say your name very clearly.
- Say the name of each scale or rudiment before playing it.
- Say "Prepared piece" before playing your prepared piece.
- Say "End of recording."
- Submit recording in .mp3 or .wav format only.
Winds and mallets
- Major scales: Concert F, G-flat, G, A-flat, A (at least two octaves for woodwinds); eighth notes at quarter = 120, tongued ascending and slurred descending
- Chromatic scale (practical range of instrument)
- Solo: Maximum 1.5 minutes. Performance of excerpts from Lions Band, All-State, or District Band etudes is strongly encouraged. A copy of your music must be submitted with your audition.
Selection criteria: Tone, intonation, accuracy, and expression, as demonstrated in the scales and solo.
Note: all percussionists must audition on at least two instruments: snare, mallets, and/or timpani (on timpani, play solo only).
- Rudiments: Nine-stroke roll and flam paradiddle, performed open-closed-open on a concert snare.
- Solo: 1 to 1.5 minutes. Performance of excerpts from Lions Band, All-State, or District Band etudes is strongly encouraged. A copy of your music must be submitted with your audition.
Selection criteria: Accuracy and expression as demonstrated in the rudiments and solo.